Friday, March 21, 2008

On Sarabjit Singh, the Death penalty and Khalid Mehmood

Where do we go from here by Kuldip Nayar

Why Sarabjit Singh should not be hanged by Beena Sarwar

On the subject of death penalty, I am reading ' The Last Day of a Condemned Man' by Victor Hugo these days (the little I can read before going to bed). Using a first-person narrative, it describes the mental and physical anguish of a man sentenced to death. Very moving so far.

Here are the first few paragraphs:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condemned to death!

These five weeks have I dwelt with this idea,--always alone with it, always frozen by its presence, always bent under its weight.

Formerly (for it seems to me rather years than weeks since I was free) I was a being like any other; every day, every hour, every minute had its idea. My mind, youthful and rich, was full of fancies, which it developed successively, without order or aim, but weaving inexhaustible arabesques on the poor and coarse web of life. Sometimes it was of youthful beauties, sometimes of unbounded possessions, then of battles gained, next of theatres full of sound and light, and then again the young beauties, and shadowy walks at night beneath spreading chestnut-trees. There was a perpetual revel in my imagination: I might think on what I chose,--I was free.

But now,--I am a Captive! Bodily in irons in a dungeon, and mentally imprisoned in one idea,--one horrible, one hideous, one unconquerable ideal I have only one thought, one conviction, one certitude,--

Condemned to death!

Whatever I do, that frightful thought is always here, like a spectre, beside me,--solitary and jealous, banishing all else, haunting me for ever, and shaking me with its two icy hands whenever I wish to turn my head away or to close my eyes. It glides into all forms in which my mind seeks to shun it; mixes itself, like a horrible chant, with all the words which are addressed to me; presses against me even to the odious gratings of my prison. It haunts me while awake, spies on my convulsive slumbers, and re-appears, a vivid incubus, in my dreams!

I have just started from a troubled sleep in which I was pursued by this thought, and I made an effort to say to myself, "Oh, it was but a dream!"

Well, even before my heavy eyes could read the fatal truth in the dreadful reality which surrounds me,--on the damp and reeking dungeon-walls, in the pale rays of my night-lamp, in the rough material of my prison-garb, on the sombre visage of the sentry, whose cap gleams through the grating of the door,--it seems to me that already a voice has murmured in my ear,--

"Condemned to death!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very powerful.

Khalid Mehmood's dead body arrived at Wagah, in a sack, his body bearing torture marks
. Such degrading treatment is despicable, heinous beyond words. They have some serious explanation to do. There is a strong anti-Sarabjit feeling over here, blood for blood you see. But the hanging, apart from being completely inhumane, really is going to make matters much more worse.

P.S There is something very odd happening with the font size of the last paragraph, dunno why.


4 comments:

Raza Rumi said...

Hira
What a lovely blog you have.
Thanks for visiting Lahorenama - there is so much to discover there..it is a neglected city with centuries of drama..
cheers
Raza

Hira said...

Thank you Raza, for dropping by and for your comments. I really did love Lahore Nama, loved reading the articles.

Anonymous said...

hey Hira

Excellent blog - I'm thinking London School of Economics would be mad not to accept you for some course.. you should apply because the material on this blog shows it matches your work/interests..

Thanks for visiting my blog and your positive comments.

Kind regards,

Nav

Hira said...

Thank you Nav, for coming over to my blog, and for your comments. Not very deserving coz I do almost nothing over here.

They really would be mad to accept me.

Anyway,

thanks