Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ten Minutes of Fame by Andrew Lam

Future historians may very well look back at the beginning of the 21st century as an era in which the human mind developed into a split screen, with one eye on real space and the other ogling the electronic mirror.

This morning on a crowded bus I counted six people within my immediate view, texting, talking on the cell phone, checking e-mail, listening to iPods. In other words, they were trying to keep the bus from being their only space, their only reality. And what was I doing? I recorded what I observed in my laptop, of course.

If modern technology has been created to enhance our daily lives, something has dramatically shifted: More and more, our daily lives are enslaved to the electronic world.


Read more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing again.
i like ur selection of columns and articles.
slaves to technology, no doubt.

Hira said...

Thanks Mubi.

This tech-slavery always reminds me of Muhammad Asad when he termed this one-sided material advancement as the real Dajjal. Not some one-eyed monster.

Anyway, thanks for visiting. Don't have many regular visitors, lol.